What is the nutritional value of turkey?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Turkey is a very good source of protein, providing 65 percent of the daily value (DV) in one 4 oz. portion. Along with protein, turkey is a very good source of selenium, niacin, and vitamin B6 and a good source of zinc and vitamin B12. Almost all of the fat in turkey is found in the skin, and the dark meat is higher in fat than the light meat. The skinless white meat is an excellent high-protein, low-fat food.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...
Amy Jamieson-Petonic
Lean, turkey breast is an excellent source of protein, and a specific building block of protein called tryptophan.

Trytophan has been touted as the reason why people fall asleep so quickly on Thanksgiving. However, a better reason for sleepiness is that people consume excessive amounts of food, and the body needs energy to digest it. 

Keep your turkey to 3-4 ounces servings and you will gain the benefits without the sleepiness.

Continue Learning about Food Production & Health

Why We’re in Favor of Labeling GM Foods
Why We’re in Favor of Labeling GM Foods
In a survey, 72% of Americans said avoiding genetically modified (GM) food is important to them. But it’s easier said than done.  An estimated 60 to 8...
Why might chopped meat make me sick?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Intestinal bacteria that contaminate meat contaminate that portion that is exposed, namely the s...
How can I avoid eating pink slime?
To avoid pink slime, first seriously consider abandoning red meat for healthier proteins, such a...
Why Should I Eat Locally Grown Food?
Why Should I Eat Locally Grown Food?