Why should I avoid eating cottonseed oil?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Cottonseed oil may contain toxic residues due to the fact that cotton is so heavily sprayed with pesticides. It also contains gossypol, a substance known to inhibit sperm function. In fact, gossypol is being investigated as the "male birth control pill." Its use as an anti-fertility agent began after studies demonstrated that men, who had used crude cottonseed oil for their cooking, had low sperm counts followed by total testicular failure.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Food Production & Health

Why You Should Skip Processed Meats
Why You Should Skip Processed Meats
When country super-star Alan Jackson croons, “But, I still like bologna on white bread,” he may hit a note of nostalgia for the go-to lunch of the 195...
How should I help promote sustainable palm oil production?
With the power of the Internet, you can make a difference to promote sustainable palm oil produc...
What is fortification?
Mary MullenMary Mullen
Fortification is a process that adds nutrients to a food or beverage that were never originally ...
What Does the Term "Farm to Table" Mean?