How common is botulism food poisoning?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Botulism food poisoning is rare. Between 10 and 30 cases of food poisoning are from botulism. However, some cases are most likely misdiagnosed or unreported. Although it does not occur frequently, botulism food poisoning is a serious medical condition. The illness can cause death if proper treatment is not sought quickly.

Continue Learning about Food Poisoning

How is severe food poisoning prevented?
The prevention of severe food poisoning is best achieved by meticulous hand washing, safe food h...
Can people with a high Listeria risk eat pâté or meat spreads?
Those at higher risk of Listeria infection—older adults, pregnant women, and those with a weakened i...
Is it safe to eat raw cookie dough?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Regardless of how good cookie dough tastes, raw eggs can harbor bacteria that cause food poisoni...
How can I keep food safe in my refrigerator?
To keep food safe in your refrigerator, do the following: Keep the refrigerator temperature it at...