How can I change bad habits to reach a fitness goal?

Edward Phillips
Physical Therapy
To achieve a fitness goal, understand why you shouldn't make a change. That's right. Until you grasp why you're sticking like a burr to old habits and routines, it may be hard to muster enough energy and will to take a hard left toward change. Unhealthy behaviors like overeating and smoking have immediate, pleasurable payoffs as well as costs. So when you're considering a change, take time to think it through. You boost your chance of success when the balance of pluses and minuses tips enough to make adopting a new behavior more attractive than standing in place. Engaging in enjoyable aspects of an unhealthy behavior, without the behavior itself, helps too. For example, if you enjoy taking a break while having a smoke, take the break and enjoy it, but find healthier ways to do so. Otherwise, you're working against a headwind and are less likely to experience lasting success.

Continue Learning about Fitness Goals

The New Rx-ercise: Move More, Move Quickly
If you type the word exercise into the Google search window, you’ll get about 1,720,000,000 results. And the available info covers everything from A t...
What should I do if I get sidetracked from my fitness goals?
Mr. Donovan GreenMr. Donovan Green
Life happens and you can get sidetracked from your fitness goals. In this video, I will emphasize th...
What is the best way to exercise to lose weight?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
I honestly don’t think exercise alone is the answer to losing weight. I know this is strange com...
Does the Athletic Challenge for Peak Performance Translate to Common Goals for Everyone?