What is lifestyle physical activity?

Lifestyle physical activity is a behavior that is broadly defined as any bodily movement produced by the contraction of muscles that substantially increases energy expenditure. This type of behavior can be accumulated during one’s daily routine by participating in 30 or more minutes of self­selected physical activities. This can include leisure activities such as a nice walk in the park, occupational work such as walking to a coworker’s desk rather than sending an email, transportation such as riding a bicycle to the store, gardening or even household chores such as vacuuming.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Women: Three Great Reasons to Strengthen Your Chest
It may be impossible for a girl to get through pre-adolescence without a few pimples and slammed doors, and at least a couple of sessions of the “bust...
Should I follow the FITT principle for exercise?
Yes the FITT principle which stands for Frequency, Intensity, Type, and Time, should dictate your pl...
5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat
5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat
Whether you're riding your bike or taking a swim, here's how to stay safe during your summer workouts.
How Can I Gauge My Intensity If I Don’t Have a Heart Rate Monitor?