What are the benefits of soft foot orthoses?

James P. Ioli, DPM
Podiatric Medicine
Soft foot orthoses (shoe inserts) are made from pliable materials, such as foam rubber, that compress when weight is placed on them. They cushion the feet against impact, improve balance, and protect the feet from pressure on sore spots. Soft orthoses are often used to help ease the pain of arthritis and provide a synthetic cushion for feet that have lost their natural padding. People with diabetes may also find soft orthoses helpful because they cushion and protect the foot from injuries that could lead to infection. If your doctor suggests soft orthoses, you may have to buy larger shoes to accommodate them. The orthoses will either be custom-molded to fit your foot or made from a plaster impression of your foot.

Continue Learning about Fitness Apparel

Toxic Workout Clothes
Toxic Workout Clothes
Beware -- your favorite antimicrobial workout shirt or water-repellent hiking jacket may contain some surprising, and potentially toxic, chemicals. A ...
What kind of swimsuit should I wear if I have a big bust?
The worst thing big-busted woman can do is wear a swimsuit that doesn't have enough support on t...
Is there a benefit to wearing a neoprene sleeve over large muscles?
Neoprene compression sleeves may offer the benefit of increasing warmth and compression to a joi...
Do Toning Shoes Really Make You Burn More Calories?