Before beginning CPR, how should I move or position someone?

For chest compressions to be the most effective, the person should be on his or her back on a firm, flat surface. If the person is on a soft surface like a sofa or bed, quickly move him or her to a table or the floor.

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

What is the proper technique for spine boarding?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Spine boarding is a technique that is used to transport an athlete for emergency care whenever a cer...
How do I record information of my interview of an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Preferably, have someone else write it down for you. Give the information to EMS personnel when ...
How do I give rescue breaths to an infant when performing CPR?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving 30 chest compressions, give 2 rescue breaths, covering the infant’s mouth and nose wi...
How do I assess a conscious victim before giving first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Hopefully you have taken a first aid course. Remember, Do No Further Harm - if you are unsure or you...