What emergency care should I give to a child who has suddenly collapsed?

If you witnessed the collapse, assume a cardiac emergency. Do not give 2 rescue breaths. Start CPR immediately, just as with an adult.

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How should I calm someone having a heart attack?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Be calm and reassuring. Comforting the person helps to reduce anxiety and eases some of the disc...
What should I do before providing first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
You should do the following before providing first aid:Check to make sure the scene is safe before...
What is the head-tilt/chin-lift technique to help open an airway?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The head-tilt/chin-lift technique moves the tongue away from the back of the throat, allowing air to...
How do I record information of my interview of an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Preferably, have someone else write it down for you. Give the information to EMS personnel when ...