How do I give first aid for an insect sting or bite?

For a minor sting, start by removing the stinger and then clean the area. Bites and stings should then be treated with a cold pack followed by a hydrocortisone cream and an antihistamine. If you have a more severe reaction, which includes symptoms such as a hard time breathing, a swelling in the lips or throat, lightheadedness, nausea, confusion, or an increased heartbeat, you should see a doctor immediately.

Most insect stings or bites are more of an annoyance than cause for true danger to the person who was bitten. The severity of the sting or bite is dependent upon several things, such as the type of insect, if the insect was a carrier of a particular disease and whether or not the person has an allergy to the insect. Most commonly, the bite just causes irritation, swelling and itching around the site. To treat this, it's sufficient to clean with soap and water and use ice packs and anti-itch lotions. If the person has a known allergy to the insect, the reaction can vary from a full-body rash to a deadly reaction called anaphylaxis. If someone has a known anaphylactic reaction, she should carry a medicine called epinephrine and seek emergency medical attention immediately. If there is concern that the insect was a carrier of disease, you should consult your doctor for further evaluation.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Know the Chicken Move
Know the Chicken Move
If you’re like me, shopping is like a second job during the holiday shopping season. I’m not particularly paranoid, but I do want to be prepared in ca...
How can I help a victim who is not breathing and has been under water?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
First, have someone call 911 immediately. If there is a possibility that the person injured their sp...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Does the CDC Do to Help Make the US and World Safer and Healthier?