question

How should I approach an injured or ill child or infant?

American Red Cross
American Red Cross
answer
Children or infants may be frightened. In some cases, they may be crying too hard and be unable to stop.

• Approach slowly and gently, and give the child or infant some time to get used to you.
  • Use the child’s or infant's name, if you know it.
  • Get down to or below the child’s or infant's eye level.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Do You Know These 7 Lifesaving Emergency Tips?
Would you be prepared to handle a health emergency if one unfolded right before you? Most people don’t have a plan (or emergency know-how) beyond cal...
The Scary Things You May Not Know About Drowning
If you’re the parent of a young child or a lover of water sports, the thought of drowning probably seems like a frightening, yet unlikely scenario. Bu...
How can I tell if someone has become suddenly ill?
When a person becomes suddenly ill, he or she usually looks and feels sick. Learn all about the symp...
Home Remedies That Can Land You in the ER
Home Remedies That Can Land You in the ERHome Remedies That Can Land You in the ERHome Remedies That Can Land You in the ERHome Remedies That Can Land You in the ER
Skip these DIY treatments and see a medical professional.  It’s understandable that you’d want to try treating conditions at home. A simple home reme...