How should I approach an injured or ill child or infant?

Children or infants may be frightened. In some cases, they may be crying too hard and be unable to stop.

• Approach slowly and gently, and give the child or infant some time to get used to you.
  • Use the child’s or infant's name, if you know it.
  • Get down to or below the child’s or infant's eye level.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Frostbite Can Happen Quickly if You're Not Careful
If you were stuck in the Antarctic ice on the Russian research ship Akademik Shokalskiy waiting for an icebreaker to rescue you, chances are you’d be ...
What is the first important thing I should do to help an injured person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Calling 9-1-1 or the local emergency number for help. The call taker will send emergency medical ...
The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t Bandages
The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t BandagesThe Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t BandagesThe Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t BandagesThe Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t Bandages
Gauze, gloves and other must-haves to patch a wound, wrap a sprain and more. When emergencies arise, having a well-stocked first aid kit, kept in an e...
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?