What are heat cramps?

Brett Snodgrass
Oncology Nursing
Heat Cramps is an early sign of heat exhaustion that can lead to heat stroke. It may include muscle twitching or jerking. It occurs after exercise or work in heat. It can also be a sign of low sodium, due to increase sweating in the hot weather.
Heat cramps are muscle twitches or spasms, usually in the abdomen, arms, or legs that are associated with heat and dehydration. Sweating depletes the body of water and salt. People who sweat a lot during strenuous activity or those who lose a lot of salt in their sweat are prone to heat cramps.
(This answer provided for NATA by the Marist College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid For Natural Exposure

Prevent Heat Stroke: Don't Get Overheated!
"Body Heat" sizzled with the passions of actors Kathleen Turner and William Hurt, but when the summer sun cranks up its power, you need to be on the o...
Football Players, Heat Stroke and You
Football Players, Heat Stroke and You
Last year, five high school football players died from heat stroke. Shocked? You should be. After all, heat stroke is entirely preventable. Yet this w...
How can I prevent a cold-related emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To prevent cold-related illnesses and emergencies, follow these guidelines: Do not go outdoors ...
When should I call 9-1-1 for someone suffering from heat exhaustion?
It is important to call "911" for a person suffering heat exhaustion, because it can quickly lead to...