What are the signals that someone is going into shock?

It is important to recognize the symptoms of shock because early treatment can be life saving. There are multiple causes of shock, including infection, low blood volume and/or severe heart disease. Some of the signals that someone is going into shock may include the following:
  • low blood pressure
  • rapid, weak or absent pulse
  • confusion or change in consciousness
  • cool or clammy skin
  • decreased urine output
  • rapid breathing
Signals include:
  • Restlessness or irritability
  • An altered level of consciousness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Pale or ashen cool, moist skin
  • Rapid breathing and pulse
  • Excessive thirst

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

What should I do if someone has a medical emergency?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
During a medical emergency, someone should be available to relay instructions if the emergency i...
When assessing a person, what are signals of life-threatening injuries?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Signals of life-threatening injuries include trouble breathing, no breathing, irregular breathing an...
How should I handle a victim in a medical emergency?
After you've determined that it is safe for you to enter the area, approach the victim. As you d...
What should I do if my child is unresponsive?
If your child is unresponsive, call 911 and do the “ABC” check: A) Check the Airway to make sure it’...