How should I call for help during a medical emergency?

Brett Snodgrass
Oncology Nursing

Obviously, your first call for help should be to "911".  Remember, and teach your children, to only call this number in emergencies.  An emergency is anything that threatens your life or the life of others. Specifically, how should one call for help?  It has been studied that most of our society no longer pays attention for the cry "help", instead to cry "fire". I would say simply, repeatedly calling for help will get someone's attention. 

In terms of CPR if you are with an adult in an emergency, immediately call "911then proceed to CPR if needed.  If you are with a child, DO NOT leave the child unattended.  Repeatedly call for help, or take the child with you to call for help.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

What medical conditions could prevent an injured person from speaking?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
In some cases, the person may not be able to speak because of a medical condition such as a lary...
What should I do first when I get to an injured person when giving care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Check the scene and the person.Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number.Care for the person.
How should I care for someone having a severe allergic reaction?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Monitor the person’s breathing and for any changes in the person’s condition. Give care for life-...
What do I do if there is not 9-1-1 access in my area?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A few areas still are without access to a 9-1-1 system so you will need to  use a local emergency ...