How should I call for help during a medical emergency?

Brett Snodgrass
Oncology Nursing

Obviously, your first call for help should be to "911".  Remember, and teach your children, to only call this number in emergencies.  An emergency is anything that threatens your life or the life of others. Specifically, how should one call for help?  It has been studied that most of our society no longer pays attention for the cry "help", instead to cry "fire". I would say simply, repeatedly calling for help will get someone's attention. 

In terms of CPR if you are with an adult in an emergency, immediately call "911then proceed to CPR if needed.  If you are with a child, DO NOT leave the child unattended.  Repeatedly call for help, or take the child with you to call for help.

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
How you call for help when helping during a medical emergency should be a consideration. In most cases, the victim will need some type of emergency medical help, be it from Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs), the company nurse, or a physician at the hospital. If you're not alone, tell someone else to go for medical assistance while you help the victim. In an emergency it's important to remember that every minute counts.

When alone, in certain circumstances, intervention is your priority. However, it is usually best to call Emergency Medical Services (EMS) - 911 in the USA/Canada, 999 in United Kingdom, 000 in Australia - before you intervene, especially if you witness a collapse or come across an unresponsive victim.
Doc's First Aid Guide: Read It Before You Need It

In a medical emergency, time is of the essence. "Doc's First Aid Guide" is an illustrated, first-aid pocket handbook designed to be used as a quick reference and includes the latest CPR guidelines....

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone with a chest injury?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number for any open or closed chest wound, especially if the p...
What should I do first when I get to an injured person when giving care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Check the scene and the person.Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number.Care for the person.
How to Use an AED
How to Use an AED