What is the earliest that is healthy for my baby to be born?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Week 37 is when your baby is considered full-term. At this point, the baby is far enough in development to be healthy outside the womb. Before 37 weeks is considered pre-term, and the baby has a better chance of survival the closer they are able to get to 37 weeks. Babies born at 24 weeks have a 50% chance of survival, while that chance jumps all the way up to 92% at 29 weeks. The safety of a pre-term birth depends on how developed your baby is at the time.

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

When do sebaceous glands form?
Sebaceous glands (which excrete sebum, the body's natural protective oils) begin to form in the four...
What is amniotic fluid?
No matter your favorite fluid of choice - water, tea, a venti pumpkin spice latte - it's time to app...
Which tests can diagnose impairment in my fetus?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Three types of tests screen for or diagnose potential impairments in the fetus are:-The first type i...
When does the fetus develop reflexes?
A fetus develops plenty of reflexes, and all of these reflexes depend on the central nervous system....