How do hormone levels during pregnancy affect the skin?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Wildly fluctuating hormones during pregnancy can create an awful complexion or a radiant glow, often in the same woman. For the first twelve weeks, the growth hormone human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) surges to prepare the placenta and increase the blood volume in the body. (This can create a flushed, healthy complexion as the blood flow becomes more robust.) In the second trimester, progesterone is on the upswing, which can generate acne. Another possible, and common, consequence of increased progesterone and estrogen is melasma, a brown discoloration above the upper lip and on the cheeks and forehead, which is why it's known as "the mask of pregnancy." On the other hand, many women find that their complexion remains clear and their skin tone is beautiful during their entire pregnancy. It really is the luck of the draw when it comes to unpredictable hormones, and every woman's skin will display different reactions. 
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Treating the 6 Worst Skin Problems During Pregnancy
Anyone who’s been pregnant knows that it’s one of the conundrums of pregnancy -- you have sudden changes to your skin (could be multiple, occasional, ...
What is twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome?
Overland Park Regional Medical CenterOverland Park Regional Medical Center
Twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome (or TTTS) is a condition that arises in 10 percent of monochorioni...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How May Nursing My Baby Affect My Libido?