Why is acid reflux common during pregnancy?

Laura Motosko, MSEd, RD

The growing baby causes the uterus to expand and crowd the organs in your body, including the stomach. The decrease in volume of the stomach as well as hormonal changes in pregnancy increases acid reflux.

As if you haven't had enough trouble dealing with food during your pregnancy (eating too much, not eating enough, throwing up what you manage to eat), the pregnancy gods thought it would be amusing to throw in one more obstacle. Acid reflux - when acid from the stomach that helps break down food percolates up into your esophagus - is pretty darn common during pregnancy.

As relaxin and other hormones soften up the ligaments of the uterus and arteries, they also soften up the sphincter at the top of the stomach. So instead of having a steel fire door that keeps acid where it belongs, the junction between the stomach and the esophagus works more like a revolving door, letting the stomach acid travel back up into your throat. Plus, as your baby grows, it pushes upward and changes the angle of the junction between the stomach and esophagus. What was once a 90-degree angle becomes straight, making it even easier for the acid to shoot up.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

How Safe Are OTC Meds During Pregnancy?
How Safe Are OTC Meds During Pregnancy?
Women naturally worry about taking any over-the-counter (OTC) medications during pregnancy for fear of harming their baby. But there’s an exception to...
Why do I need to rest after I deliver my baby?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
The first few days at home after having your baby are a time for rest and recovery physically and em...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum Treated?
How Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum Treated?