Why is acid reflux common during pregnancy?

As if you haven't had enough trouble dealing with food during your pregnancy (eating too much, not eating enough, throwing up what you manage to eat), the pregnancy gods thought it would be amusing to throw in one more obstacle. Acid reflux - when acid from the stomach that helps break down food percolates up into your esophagus - is pretty darn common during pregnancy.

As relaxin and other hormones soften up the ligaments of the uterus and arteries, they also soften up the sphincter at the top of the stomach. So instead of having a steel fire door that keeps acid where it belongs, the junction between the stomach and the esophagus works more like a revolving door, letting the stomach acid travel back up into your throat. Plus, as your baby grows, it pushes upward and changes the angle of the junction between the stomach and esophagus. What was once a 90-degree angle becomes straight, making it even easier for the acid to shoot up.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Will chemotherapy prevent me from getting pregnant?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
You cannot depend on chemotherapy to prevent pregnancy, and getting pregnant while receiving chemoth...
Considering an Epidural? Here Are Your Top 6 Questions, Answered
Considering an Epidural? Here Are Your Top 6 Questions, AnsweredConsidering an Epidural? Here Are Your Top 6 Questions, AnsweredConsidering an Epidural? Here Are Your Top 6 Questions, AnsweredConsidering an Epidural? Here Are Your Top 6 Questions, Answered
We spoke with a top OBGYN to get the scoop on this pain-relieving procedure An epidural is a powerful form of anesthesia that numbs parts of the body ...
What Changes Can I Expect in My Body After Giving Birth?
What Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum?
What Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum?