How can aging affect secondary infertility?

Infertility after a previous successful pregnancy is called secondary infertility. Even though you may be in great health, subtle anatomic and hormonal issues, as well as age factors, could be contributing to your difficulty.

One of the most silent causes of secondary infertility is reproductive aging. As women get older, their ovaries contain fewer eggs that require stronger signals from the pituitary gland to ovulate. When the eggs are released, they tend to not fertilize as easily and may produce embryos that stop growing. Outwardly, this may show up as infertility. Aging factors seem to become more important as women approach age 40 and beyond.

The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Female Infertility

How Will My OB/GYN Treat Infertility?
How Will My OB/GYN Treat Infertility?
Can Years of Birth Control Use (8 to 10 Years) Lead to Infertility?
What Are the Treatment Options for Infertility in Women?
What Health Risks Are Associated with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)?