Why do people describe envy and jealousy in shades of green?

William Shakespeare's famous play, "Othello," is a story that is wrought with jealousy. Othello's best friend, Iago, manipulates Othello so successfully that the title character believes his wife has been unfaithful.

In his treachery, Iago describes jealousy as a "green-eyed monster which doth mock.." Chaucer and Ovid also use the phrase "green with envy."

Some believe the color green has been associated with jealousy dating back to the ancient Greeks. They believed jealousy occurred as result of the overproduction of bile, which turned human skin slightly green.

Continue Learning about Feelings & Emotions in Relationships

How to Forgive Someone, Even When It Feels Impossible
“Forgiveness is not for anyone but yourself. It’s to release the pain, to release the incident, to recognize that it happened and things may have chan...
What do I need to do to make a long committed relationship work?
Erik FisherErik Fisher
In order for any intimate long-term relationship to survive, both people have to feel all three ...
What should I do if I feel lonely even though I am in a relationship?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
The ability to admit when you feel lonely can help you become a relationship repair genius. Many tim...
How Friends Influence Your Health
How Friends Influence Your Health