Can I work with my child's school to help him manage fatty liver disease?

Joel Lavine, MD
Pediatric Gastroenterology
Managing fatty liver disease is easier if your child can eat well and exercise both at home and at school. Check your child's schedule and make sure that physical education is part of his curriculum. If it is not, talk to the guidance counselor or other school authority to see if there is a way to ensure that physical activity is built into his school day.

Also make sure that both at work and at home, your child has access to healthy foods and isn't tempted to consume high-fat or high-cholesterol foods. See if you can get a copy of the lunch menus for the month, and if there are days when you feel your child cannot purchase a nutritious low-fat lunch at school, help him pack a lunch to take with him. 

Continue Learning about Fatty Liver Disease