What are health risks of eating too much fat?

Eating too much fat can increase your risk for a number of health threats. For starters, eating a lot of fat can make you fat. Fat contains 9 calories per gram. That means fat packs more than twice as many calories as carbohydrates and protein, which both have 4 calories per gram. Your body needs fat to survive, but it's wise to eat this important nutrient in moderation.

Too much of certain types of fat can lead to other health problems. A diet rich in saturated fat (fatty cuts of meat and dairy foods are top sources) can raise cholesterol levels in the blood. That increases the risk for heart disease. Likewise, the trans fats found in some fried foods, packaged snacks and stick margarine (among other foods) raise cholesterol, too. If eating too much fat causes you to become overweight or obese, this raises your risk of endometrial, breast, prostate and colorectal cancers.

Continue Learning about Fats

How does eating fatty foods affect my appetite?
Abby EllinAbby Ellin
John Blundell, research chair in psychobiology and chair of the department of psychology at the Univ...
What should I remember when cooking with fats?
You should remember two things when you cook with fats. First, prepare foods with unsaturated fats w...
How can I include omega fatty acids in my diet?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Consider that whole food sources -- plant and animal -- contain an array of omega fatty acids th...
How do we get fatty acids from the foods we eat?
As we digest our food, the body breaks down the fat we eat into fatty acids that can be absorbed...