What are triglycerides?

Triglycerides are fatty acids that act as the basic building blocks of fats. Your body converts the excess calories you eat into triglycerides, which are stored in fat cells. As needed, hormones regulate the release of triglycerides from fat tissue to meet your body's energy needs.

Triglycerides are simple fatty acids found in both plants and animals. Vegetable oils contain triglycerides with unsaturated fatty acids and tend to be liquid at room temperature. Animal sources of triglycerides contain mostly saturated fatty acids and tend to be solid at room temperature.

Continue Learning about Fats

Your Superpower Nose Can Sniff out Fat
Your Superpower Nose Can Sniff out Fat
Superman and Spiderman use their super-powers for good to aid seemingly helpless humans in their time of need. But believe it or not you have what you...
Why Should My Child Eat Healthy Fats?
Why Should My Child Eat Healthy Fats?
Swap Regular Vegetable Oil for Canola Oil
How Does the Body Get Energy from the Foods We Eat?