What are monounsaturated fats?

Dr. William B. Salt, MD
Gastroenterologist

Monounsaturated fats include olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, cashews, almonds, peanuts, and most other nuts, peanut butter, and avocados. Monounsaturated vegetable oils are preferable to polyunsaturated vegetable oils.

Monounsaturated fat is a type of unsaturated fat that may lower total cholesterol while keeping high-density lipoprotein (HDL) or "good" cholesterol high. Avocados, olive oil, peanut oil, and canola oil are high in monounsaturated fat.

Continue Learning about Fats

All About YOU: Getting More Better-for-You Fats
Corn oil, margarine, steak . . . if these items make a regular appearance in your diet, you may need more "3s." That's omega-3s—found in foods like f...
How much fat should I consume each day?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Keep your total fat intake to 25 to 35% of your total daily calories (56 to 78 grams of fat for a 2,...
Which fats should I eat to avoid feeling tired?
If you’re tired, you could be eating the wrong kind of fats, namely saturated or trans fats. These u...
What Types of Fats Should I Choose for a Healthy Diet?