Why do people fast?

In some religions and spiritualities, fasting is a way to cleanse and purify the body, and is considered an act of sacrifice. Fasting can also be used to lose weight in cases of morbid obesity. Some individuals use fasting as a means to detoxify their body. Other times, medical testing or surgery may be necessitate a period of fasting before the procedure.

Marisa Moore

People fast for a variety of reasons including

• Religious or spiritual obligation.  Some people fast as part of their religion to strengthen their faith, increase patience and humility.  
  • Mental clarity. Some people find that when they fast they are able to think more clearly and become more disciplined. 
  • To cleanse the body. Some people use fasting as a way to "detoxify" the body. They may eliminate some or all food types in an attempt to cleanse the body. 
  • For a medical procedure. To get accurate lab results or to prepare the body for certain surgical procedures, it may be necessary to abstain from food, caffeine and other substances. 

It's important to note that not all of the reasons or ways that people fast are based on science. It is a personal choice.

Continue Learning about Fasting

How do I manage my fasting on a daily basis?
Any kind of fasting regimen should be monitored by a doctor since serious complications can arise. W...
Why doesn't fasting lead to weight loss?
Fasting can lead to weight loss, but the pounds you shed by going without food will likely retur...
The Do's and Dont's of Intermittent Fasting
The Do's and Dont's of Intermittent FastingThe Do's and Dont's of Intermittent FastingThe Do's and Dont's of Intermittent FastingThe Do's and Dont's of Intermittent Fasting
Is intermittent fasting right for you?
Why Should I Listen to My Body When Doing Intermittent Fasting (IF)?