Is a freckle in the back of my eye serious?

A freckle in the back of the eye refers to a choroidal nevus, a common, benign, flat, pigmented growth under the retina. Such nevi almost always have no effect on vision. However, if growth of a nevus is documented by periodic observation or photographs of the retina, it may be undergoing transformation into a malignant melanoma of the eye. You should have your "freckle" checked by an eye doctor.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

How to Care for Dry Eyes
How to Care for Dry Eyes
Let's face it—dry eyes don't feel good. Sometimes they can feel scratchy or gritty, like something's caught in your eye. Other times you may feel a st...
How do I manage my viral eye infections on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Managing a viral eye infection is often simply a case of staying home and limiting contact with othe...
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
Take a look at 10 sight-saving tips to protect your vision and boost your eye health.
What Eye Disease Treatment Innovations Excite You?