Is a freckle in the back of my eye serious?

A freckle in the back of the eye refers to a choroidal nevus, a common, benign, flat, pigmented growth under the retina. Such nevi almost always have no effect on vision. However, if growth of a nevus is documented by periodic observation or photographs of the retina, it may be undergoing transformation into a malignant melanoma of the eye. You should have your "freckle" checked by an eye doctor.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

When to Get a Vision Screening
When to Get a Vision Screening
At certain points in your life, it's important to have your eyes examined by an eye care professional -- even if your eyes feel fine and there doesn't...
How do I treat foreign objects in the eye?
Dr. Gary S. Hirshfield, MDDr. Gary S. Hirshfield, MD
I would suggest that you look closely at your eyelashes and eyelid margins for a misdirected lash an...
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
Take a look at 10 sight-saving tips to protect your vision and boost your eye health.
What Are the Symptoms of Macular Degeneration?