How can I cope with changes in color perception as I get older?

As we age, the lens of the eye gradually yellows with age. The yellowing of the eye lens affects color perception. A few specific adjustments to lighting and color choices should help alleviate the effects of minor lens yellowing. Try these tips:
  • Choose halogen or fluorescent bulbs specifically designed to improve color rendering. Bulbs with a color-rendering index (CRI) above 80 may best help older eyes with color definition.
  • Use warm contrasting colors, such as yellow, orange, and red, in your home to improve your ability to tell where things are and make it easier to perform daily activities.
  • Put colored tape on the edge of steps to help make them easier to navigate.

Eventually, the underlying process that causes lens yellowing may lead to cataracts. Surgical procedures are available for people whose degree of vision impairment due to cataracts is severe enough to interfere with safety or quality of life. Visit the National Eye Institute (NEI) to learn more about current cataract treatments and vision disorders.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Can Macular Degeneration Be Reversed?
Can Macular Degeneration Be Reversed?
In this video, David David Demartini, MD, of Northern California Cornea Associates, describes a future breakthrough treatment that could win the nobel...
Could one of my eyes be smaller than the other?
Gary S. Hirshfield, MDGary S. Hirshfield, MD
Many patients come in with the complaint of an eye being smaller and it is almost always a result of...
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
For brighter eyes and clearer vision, these foods can help.
What Are the Most Important Issues in Eye Health?