How can I cope with changes in color perception as I get older?

As we age, the lens of the eye gradually yellows with age. The yellowing of the eye lens affects color perception. A few specific adjustments to lighting and color choices should help alleviate the effects of minor lens yellowing. Try these tips:
  • Choose halogen or fluorescent bulbs specifically designed to improve color rendering. Bulbs with a color-rendering index (CRI) above 80 may best help older eyes with color definition.
  • Use warm contrasting colors, such as yellow, orange, and red, in your home to improve your ability to tell where things are and make it easier to perform daily activities.
  • Put colored tape on the edge of steps to help make them easier to navigate.

Eventually, the underlying process that causes lens yellowing may lead to cataracts. Surgical procedures are available for people whose degree of vision impairment due to cataracts is severe enough to interfere with safety or quality of life. Visit the National Eye Institute (NEI) to learn more about current cataract treatments and vision disorders.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
Swap your carrots for these eye-friendly foods. By Patrick Sullivan Everyone knows carrots promote eye health. They’re a good source of beta-caroten...
What Is Diabetic Eye Disease?
What Is Diabetic Eye Disease?
Can Eyes Be Transplanted?
Can Eyes Be Transplanted?
How Does the Big Data Concept Impact Ophthalmology?