Can a teen's eyes be too small for contact lenses?

Many teenagers are squeamish about placing a contact lens in their eye and squeeze their eyes closed. Most will get past this step with practice and patience. If there is a continuing problem the ophthalmologist could choose to fit a small lens. However, smaller lens are rigid and probably not as comfortable as the larger soft lenses.

David R. Demartini, MD
Ophthalmology
Most ocular globes("eyeballs") are about the same size. The eye surface that the contact attaches is also about the same for most people The size of the eyelid opening is more of a variable. Most contacts are about the same diameter: soft lenses are larger (about 14mm) than hard contacts (about 9mm). People with smaller eye opening will have a harder time inserting contacts until they get familiar. Generally, people who are highly motivated to wear contacts are able to overcome these differences and can wear any type of contact very successfully. A skilled contact lens practitioner can help any patient to become a successful contact lens wearer. 

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
For brighter eyes and clearer vision, these foods can help. Cooked kale, spinach, collards and turnip greens (along with broccoli and eggs) are cramm...
Why Do I Get Pink Eye a Lot?
Why Do I Get Pink Eye a Lot?
What Is Age-Related Macular Degeneration?
What Advantages Do New Surgeons Have in Terms of Training?