What is Mucous Membrane Pemphigoid (MMP)?

David R. Demartini, MD
Ophthalmology
MMP is a chronic autoimmune disease that affects mostly elderly patients where the body's white blood cells get programmed to attack their own mucous membranes of the eyes, mouth, colon and/or vagina. There is no known cause but the genetics are beginning to be understood. Women are more often affected than men. Usually it starts with redness, irritation, burning or discharge and slowly progresses to dryness, scarring and loss of function. Treatment is difficult and usually requires strong antimetabolite medications which can have multiple side-effects and need to be monitored carefully

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

What Is Presbyopia?
What Is Presbyopia?
Presbyopia is a condition that affects a person's ability to see up close, and usually occurs around age 40. Learn more in this video featuring naturo...
Is multiple sclerosis (MS) the only cause of optic neuritis (ON)?
Dr. Louis RosnerDr. Louis Rosner
There are many other possible causes of optic neuritis (ON) besides multiple sclerosis (MS). These i...
How can uveal coloboma be inherited?
Isolated coloboma can follow all possible patterns of single-gene inheritance, namely autosomal domi...
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?