How is astigmatism diagnosed?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Astigmatism is diagnosed by an optometrist by studying the way light is refracted on a dilated, or wide, pupil. Light refraction is the way that light bends when making contact with the curved surfaces of the eye. With astigmatism, the changing surfaces of the cornea or lens cause light to bend irregularly. The optometrist can use a keratometer to measure refraction or a keratoscope to measure the spacing of projected rings and calculate the irregularity of the surface of the cornea or lens. Once the doctor knows the level of astigmatism, they can recommend the proper treatment plan of corrective lenses or eye surgery.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
How Do You Inspire the Next Generation of Physicians?
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?
What Are the Most Important Issues in Eye Health?