Can multiple sclerosis cause uveitis?

Uveitis (commonly called "iritis" when it involves the front of the eye) is inflammation of a specific group of tissues inside the eye (including one or more of the following: iris, ciliary body, and choroid). Symptoms may include: eye redness, light sensitivity, pain with focusing, blurry vision, or floaters. While not the most common reason to develop uveitis, it can occur in the setting of multiple sclerosis (MS). If you have MS and develop symptoms of uveitis, you should be seen promptly by your eye doctor to determine the cause and initiate treatment if indicated.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

What are the common eye diseases?
Robert Abel JrRobert Abel Jr
Eye diseases common among adults range from temporary to chronic & sight‐threatening conditions. One...
What is overflow tearing?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
Abnormal or overflow eye tearing is a common condition in infants. In fact, approximately one-third ...
How common is uveal coloboma?
Uveal coloboma is a rare condition that is not always well documented. Depending on the study and wh...
What should I do if one eye keeps closing and my eyes sometimes cross?
Louis B. Cantor, MDLouis B. Cantor, MD
An eye may close for many reasons.  If the eye crossing and closing began to occur at about the same...