Why should I have an eye exam?

When you're looking for a tip-off to how your eyes are doing, here's one big clue: Check your night vision. Count how long it takes your eyes to recover from bright lights you see at night, especially when driving. Longer than usual? Say, seven seconds, as opposed to three? Might be time for a visit with your eye specialist. This is a good time to mention any vision problems or family health history of eye problems. A visual acuity test will help your optometrist determine if you need eyeglasses or contact lenses for vision correction. A dilated-eye exam should also be done to check your eyes for any damage or signs of disease, such as glaucoma, cataracts, or age-related macular degeneration.

If you don't have any risk factors for eye disease and you're under 60, you can probably get by with seeing the eye doc every two years (annually if you're over 60). But go sooner if your eyes are giving you problems. In addition to the night vision test, Michael Roizen, MD, and Mehmet Oz, MD—authors of the newly expanded YOU: The Owner's Manual—suggest a couple of other quick do-it-yourself eye checks:

• Fatigue test: If your eyes tire out faster during normal activity—like reading or working on the computer—it could be a sign of weakening eyesight.
  • Endurance test: If your eyes get tired earlier in your daily routine than usual—maybe you can't read in bed anymore, for example—schedule a checkup.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

When should I see an eye doctor?
Dr. Laura C. Fine, MDDr. Laura C. Fine, MD
Most people never develop eye disease as they get older; it's likely that you'll need little more th...
Why is it important to take care of my vision as I get older?
With age, almost everyone's vision deteriorates to some degree. Fortunately, there are several ways ...
Why should I get my child's eyes checked?
Dr. Michael X. RepkaDr. Michael X. Repka
All children should undergo an evaluation to detect eye and vision abnormalities during the first fe...
What can a doctor do for puffy eyes?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Puffy eyes are usually temporary and don't require a doctor visit. If the problem persists or seems ...