Why do some people need to have visual field tests many times?

David R. Demartini, MD
Ophthalmology
Visual fields test the peripheral vision of the patient. Many disease processes affect the visual fields because they either damage the optic nerves or the brain where vision is processed. Because it is difficult to directly examine these structures, visual fields provide a careful way to evaluate their function instead. 
Because visual fields can detect subtle changes in a disease process, they are very helpful for many patients in order to check on the progress of their disease. Glaucoma, optic neuritis, strokes, high intracranial pressure are just a few of the diseases that are followed by repeated visual fields.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

Why You Need Regular Eye Exams
Why You Need Regular Eye Exams
Roughly 11 million Americans older than 12-years old need vision correction, but glasses or contacts are just one reason to see an eye doctor. Compreh...
What happens during an eye exam or vision test?
Dr. Laura C. Fine, MDDr. Laura C. Fine, MD
External eye exam When examining the external eye, the doctor checks the lids, lashes, and orbit—and...
What kinds of eye drops should I avoid for my dry eyes?
If you have dry eyes you should avoid artificial tears that contain preservatives and drops that cle...
How Do You Inspire the Next Generation of Ophthalmologists?