What does it mean if I see flashes of light?

If you see flashes of light (unrelated to lightning or someone taking your picture) that means some of your retina cells are detonating. The flashes are usually harmless, but may be a sign of a retinal detachment, so you should call your eye doctor immediately.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Eye Care

How Often Do I Need an Eye Exam As I Grow Older?
In this video, ophthalmologist and Sharecare Advisory Board member David Demartini, MD, explains how frequently you should have an eye exam, and why t...
What preservatives are in artificial tears?
Many artificial tear products contain preservatives to keep them sterile and prevent eye infections....
Why do some eye drops need to be refrigerated?
Louis B. Cantor, MDLouis B. Cantor, MD
Some evidence suggests that some of the glaucoma medications may be subject to degradation or breakd...
When Should a Diabetes Patient See an Ophthalmologist?