Should I see a doctor if my eyes are oozing mucus?

Eye allergies can cause itching, tearing, and redness of the eyes. If you have mucus matter and water, you may have an infection of the conjunctiva (the membrane that lines the inside of your eyelids and covers the white parts of your eyes). Many external eye infections, especially those caused by viruses, are self-limited. You should have an eye doctor examine your eyes if the discomfort and discharge last more than a few days.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

Why You Need Regular Eye Exams
Why You Need Regular Eye Exams
Roughly 11 million Americans older than 12-years old need vision correction, but glasses or contacts are just one reason to see an eye doctor. Compreh...
What doctors and specialists can provide eye care for people with diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
The following are the different types of eye care providers: An optician makes glasses and lenses...
What can I do to reduce eye irritation?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Try daily lid scrubs to improve your eye health. Lid scrubs simply involve gently rubbing the ba...
What Recent Eye Health Developments Have Surprised You the Most?