Can I drive home after an eye examination?

Laura C. Fine, MD
Ophthalmology
When examining the internal eye during an eye exam, your eye doctor often applies dilating drops drug to enlarge your pupils, allowing a better examination of the eye's interior. The drops take time to wear off, and people often experience light sensitivity and difficulty focusing on close tasks for several hours afterward. Be aware that it is often difficult to drive while your eyes are dilated. Reversal drops, which reduce the time to recover from dilating drops, are available.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

Which Eye Exams Do You Need?
Which Eye Exams Do You Need?
Regular vision checkups are key, since many eye diseases have no symptoms. According to the National Institutes of Health, adults over 40 should be ex...
How effective is azithromycin in treating dry eyes?
Azithromycin is fairly effective in improving the dryness and redness of the eye in people who have ...
How should I choose sunglasses to protect my eyes from the sun?
While most people are more concerned about how they look in a pair of sunglasses, choosing the right...
How Does the Big Data Concept Impact Ophthalmology?