What are three important things I can do to protect my eye health?

Your eyes do a lot for you. They help you enjoy scenic routes, admire Monet, and read gossip columns. So it's payback time-time to thank your eyes for all the good things they've done. I recommend you reward your eyes with this optical spa package.

• Drink water. The tear ducts in your eyes aren't just active during onion-cutting, Meg Ryan movies, and when the Cubs lose. As you know, they're also responsible for keeping your eyes lubricated. Dry eyes-a very common problem-comes from an inadequate amount of fluid coming out of those ducts. The best treatment isn't to keep your eyes wet with another viewing of Titanic, but by drinking enough water throughout the day.

• Snooze. As you know, sleep re-charges your whole system-including your eyes. And it's the best answer for tired eyes. Sleep helps retinal membranes by allowing them to recharge from a hard day of seeing. You need at least five hours of sleep to help your eyes.

• Take a walk. If you sit in front of a computer all day, it's important to take a 10-minute break from it about every two hours. The light energy that comes from your computer can make your eyes ache.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Healthy Eye and Vision

Drinking Black Tea Can Help Reduce Your Glaucoma Risk
The health benefits of tea range from lowering stress to improving digestion to aiding sleep, and now you can add eye health to the growing list. Rese...
Why is exercise good for my eyes?
Getting fit doesn't just do a body good. It's great for your eye health, too. Vigorous exercise, suc...
Can I check my eye pressure at home?
Laura C. Fine, MDLaura C. Fine, MD
One home device, called the Proview Eye Pressure Monitor, measures pressure through the eyelid on th...
How Can I Prevent My Eyes From Going Bad?