Should I do resistance training to lose weight?

Wendy Batts
Fitness
Absolutely! Resistance training should be done for any fitness objective and has particular benefits to weight loss goals. To lose weight we need to burn more calories and eat fewer calories. Performing resistance training will help you burn more calories during and for the time following the workouts. With the right resistance training program, you’ll improve posture, endurance, and strength; and reduce the risk of injury. All of these things not only help you look and feel better, but naturally encourage you to be more active in daily life, maximizing your calorie burning potential.
Weight loss will come from more calories being burned than consumed. This is dictated by the law of thermodynamics. Performing resistance training while seeking a weight loss goal is beneficial for a couple of reasons. First, resistance training will help to maintain lean body mass while you are operating in a caloric deficit. The stress placed on the muscle during resistance training, in combination with proper nutrition, will work to repair and maintain the muscles while body fat is being reduced. The resistance training can also help to build lean body mass in individuals which increases basal metabolic rate (the amount of calories which are being burned at rest). Muscle is more metabolically active, meaning it takes more calories to maintain muscle than fat. Since resistance training builds muscle, an individual will be burning more calories at all times, not just during exercise. Resistance training has also been shown to increase the amount of calories the body burns after an exercise session. The increased intensity from the resistance will maximize the amount of oxygen needed for the training session, as well as during the recovery. As your body works to replenish oxygen supplies, it will burn calories.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

How Long Do I Have to Exercise to Burn Off Certain Foods?
A Fun Way to Lose Weight: Ride a Bike
A Fun Way to Lose Weight: Ride a Bike
How to Bust Through a Weight-Loss Plateau
What Are Some Exercises I Can Do At Home to Help Me Lose Weight?