Is isometric training beneficial for weight loss?

Eric Beard
Sports Medicine
Isometric training can assist with weight loss but a comprehensive approach is most effective. Adjusting your calorie intake to eat the proper amount for you is a powerful first step. From there a resistance training program that utilizes major muscle groups and incorporates all the muscular actions performed 2-3 times per week will help. You can perform 15-20 repetitions for 2-3 sets and rest 30 seconds between sets. The three types of muscular actions are; isometric actions (where the muscle stays the same length-like when you are trying hard to open a jar of jelly or pickles that won't budge), concentric actions (when a muscle shortens like your biceps when you pick something up off of the floor) and eccentric actions (your hamstrings when you bend over at the waist without bending your knees). Your good friend cardio will help to burn stored fat and your core and flexibility work keep you healthy and able to keep up with the rest of your program and everyday life!
Absolutely. Isometric training involves effort being placed in order to sustain muscle contractions and this effort involves caloric expenditure. In addition, sustained contractions have the ability to stimulate motor units within a muscle fiber. (Clark 2008) This in turn can improve muscle endurance and postural control. Over time, these benefits allow an individual to sustain prolonged contractions and even train with loads to improve strength, prevent injury, and further increase caloric expenditure. A recent study showed that isometric training, combined with a dietary program, results in both weight loss and a reduction in numerous circumference measurements after only one month. (Petrofsky 2007) Combining exercise such as isometric training with an appropriate diet can help accelerate weight loss in most individuals.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

How to Bust Your Belly Fat
How to Bust Your Belly Fat
How Can I Exercise to Lose Weight If I Have Foot Problems?
Should I Do Total-Body Exercises to Help Weight Loss?
How Can Exercise Help Me Avoid Hitting a Weight-Loss Plateau?