How does building muscle help me lose fat and stay slim?

Adding muscle to your body burns fat because, well, muscle needs energy to survive. A pound of muscle uses between 75 and 150 calories a day (remember, it's working and using energy), while a pound of fat only needs 3 calories a day (fat does nothing to help your body, the ingrate, so it doesn't need energy to maintain itself). Maintaining that friendly, fat-burning muscle mass only takes a few minutes—10 minutes, three times a week, to be exact.

YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

When you build lean muscle mass, the additional muscle requires additional energy. In turn, this raises your resting metabolic rate, or the amount of calories your body burns while at rest. This increased bodily demand for calories can aid in keeping you slim when combined with sound eating habits.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

How to Bust Your Belly Fat
How to Bust Your Belly Fat
How Can Social Networking Help Me Stay Motivated to Exercise?
A Fun Way to Lose Weight: Ride a Bike
A Fun Way to Lose Weight: Ride a Bike
How Can I Exercise to Lose Weight If I Have Foot Problems?