What happens to my joints if I don't exercise?

Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Joints degenerate if you don't exercise them. Without movement, your joints will not receive sufficient nourishment because they do not have a direct blood supply. The cartilage will begin to erode, the shock-absorbing capacity of the joints will diminish, and the supporting ligaments and muscles will weaken. Your joints will feel stiff and hurt when you need them to support you. What's the good news? By exercising, you can nourish and strengthen your joints, and reduce your pain and stiffness. It's never too late to start exercising.
The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Continue Learning about Exercise - Bones & Joints

How can I improve my joints?
Too much play without stretching can put stress on your joints. In this video, Dr. Oz welcomes a...
What exercises can be done to strengthen leg joints?
By leg joints we assume you mean the knees. Actually the joints can’t really be “strengthened” but ...
Is Your Back Pain Osteoarthritis?
Is Your Back Pain Osteoarthritis?
Does Your Weight Play a Role in Developing Osteoarthritis?