What is the Borg Scale?

The Borg Rating of Perceived Exertion (RPE) is a way of measuring physical activity intensity levels. Perceived exertion is how hard you feel like your body is working. It is based on the physical sensations a person experiences during physical activity, including increased heart rate, increased respiration or breathing rate, increased sweating and muscle fatigue.

The Borg Scale is used to gauge your level of shortness of breath, also called dyspnea.

According to Borg (1998), although this is a subjective measure, a person’s exertion rating may provide a fairly good estimate of the actual heart rate during physical activity.

The Borg RPE numbers range from 6 to 20. A rating of “6” indicates the least amount of effort, and “20” denotes the most effort. Before, during and after exercise, rate yourself on the scale below. It is recommended that you stay between “6 and 13” while exercising.

The Borg scale in more detail:

• 9 corresponds to “very light” exercise. For a healthy person, it is like walking slowly at his or her own pace for some minutes.
  • 13 on the scale is “somewhat hard” exercise, but it still feels okay to continue.
  • 17 corresponds to “very hard” and is very strenuous. A healthy person can still go on, but he really has to push himself. It feels very heavy, and the person is very tired.
  • 19 on the scale is an extremely strenuous exercise level. For most people, this is the most strenuous exercise they have ever experienced.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How can I assess my strength?
Aaron Nelson Aaron Nelson
First of all it is very important that when you are assessing strength you have someone with you. If...
Why should I track my exercise progress?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Your resting pulse can serve as a general measure of improved cardiovascular health, so a reason...
How does talking help determine the intensity of exercise?
Joan PaganoJoan Pagano
The "talk test" is a timeless and easy way to guage the intensity of cardio exercise, based on your ...
Why should I create an exercise log?
Chris Thomae , NASM Elite TrainerChris Thomae , NASM Elite Trainer
Keeping a written log of your exercise program is a great way to track your progress. Particularly w...