With a family history of stroke, can I take Premarin?

Long-term treatment with Premarin may increase your risk of heart attack, blood clots or stroke. Talk with your doctor about your family history and your risks for developing these health problems before taking Premarin, especially if you smoke or are overweight. If you and your doctor decide that you should take Premarin, you should have regular checkups (for example, every three to six months) to determine whether it is safe for you to continue this treatment.

Continue Learning about Estrogen

How much estrogen does a pregnant woman produce?
Beginning at week 14, the placenta is fully operational, pumping out continuous, high levels of estr...
What is the function of estrogen in women?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
The "female" hormone, estrogen causes the uterine lining to thicken during the menstrual cycle i...
What should I know before using the vaginal estrogen ring for menopause?
If you have a family history of breast cancer or a family history of liver porphyria, a vaginal estr...
What is an estrogen ring?
Elizabeth Poynor, MDElizabeth Poynor, MD
A low-dose estrogen ring is designed to treat vaginal dryness. In this video, Elizabeth Poynor, MD, ...