Is vaginal estrogen cream safer than estrogen pills?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
Vaginal estrogen, delivered as a cream or tablet or flexible plastic ring, is used to treat vaginal dryness. This was officially called vaginal atrophy but I never liked to use that term with my patients! The new term is Genitourinary Syndrome of Menopause, or GSM. Vaginal estrogen is a local treatment with minimal absorption into the blood stream so also minimal to no effect on other parts of the body. While we need more studies, all the evidence to date indicates that this local treatment does not increase the risk of complications seen in estrogen or estrogen plus progesterone systemic therapies.
Vaginal atrophy can be treated with vaginal dilators -- available in different widths and sizes -- to help improve the elasticity and pliability of the vagina. Treatment usually involves five minutes of daily use with a lubricant. Be sure to discuss this treatment with your gynecologist before it.Your pelvic floor -- just like your biceps -- is made of muscle. Sex on a regular basis actually helps keep your vagina in shape. Kegel exercises help, too.

Continue Learning about Estrogen

How do I use estrogen?
There are many different types of medications that contain estrogen, including tablets, transder...
As a woman, can estrogen protect me from heart disease?
Leigh Vinocur, MDLeigh Vinocur, MD
In the past, doctors believed that estrogen would protect women from heart disease. Historically...
Is dermal estrogen a safer choice in HRT?
Though there's much debate about the long-term safety of hormone replacement therapy (HRT), it does ...
Does vaginal estrogen use increase breast cancer recurrence?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
There is essentially no evidence that using tiny amount of estrogens directly on vaginal tissues to ...