What happens during surgery to treat esophageal cancer?

Surgery can be used to treat some esophageal cancers. There are a number of different surgeries, and which one a doctor uses depends on the extent of the cancer and where it is located in the esophagus. In some of the surgeries, only a small area of the tissue lining the esophagus is removed. This surgery is used when the cancer is isolated in one spot and has not spread. Other surgeries involve actual removal of portions of the esophagus or stomach. In these surgeries, parts of intestine might be used to reconnect the shortened esophagus and the stomach.

Continue Learning about Esophageal Cancer

Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Heartburn occurs when digestive acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus, the muscular tube that connects the throat to the stomach. This cau...
What happens if I have to have my esophagus removed?
Dr. Jill K. Onesti, MDDr. Jill K. Onesti, MD
If your esophagus is removed, it is replaced by another organ—usually the stomach. The stomach can b...
Why do people refuse surgery for esophageal cancer?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
It is hard to know why people refuse surgery for esophageal cancer and what factors affect their dec...
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?