How common is hemisection dental surgery?

There are no statistics on the frequency of hemisection dental surgery, but it’s less common than it used to be. That’s because there are additional treatment options now. Hemisection--when a tooth with two roots is cut in half--is done because of bone loss or decay between the roots. Dentists can now sometimes grow new bone between the roots. Other times, dentists will just extract (remove) the tooth and replace it with a permanent implant. Hemisection dental surgery is a conservative approach that allows you to keep part of the original tooth.

Continue Learning about Endodontic Surgery

What is endodontics?
Endodontics is a specialty within the field of dentistry. The most familiar endodontic treatment...
What training does an endodontist receive?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Endodontists are dental specialists with an additional two or more years of specialized training bey...
If I have a traumatic dental injury, who can fix my teeth?
Depending on the injury, the treatment could involve the general dentist and specialists including a...
What is the most common procedure in surgical endodontics?
There are many surgical procedures that can be performed to save a tooth. The most common is called ...