What should a person consider before refusing fluids to end one's life?

Barbara Coombs Lee
Hospice Nursing
Voluntarily stopping eating and drinking (VSED) doesn’t always go smoothly, and we recommend careful planning. Before beginning a person should:
  • Carefully consider palliative options and other ways to make life more comfortable and enjoyable. Consider VSED only after all other options are exhausted.
  • Visit a mental-health professional to check for treatable depression and follow any recommended treatment plan. If depression is not a factor, a clean bill of mental health will reassure medical professionals and family. This step can prevent an uneducated or unsympathetic doctor from labeling an individual “suicidal” and ordering a psychiatric lockup.
  • Bring loved ones in on the decision. When they offer their support, approach doctors and other healthcare professionals together.
  • Arrange for the best hospice or palliative services available. The most common difficulty is dry mouth, and this responds to treatment.

Continue Learning about End Of Life Issues

Who should be involved in setting up an advance care plan?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Advance care planning is personal and is based on your values and beliefs. You can, and should, invo...
I know what choices I’ll make at the end of life, should I tell my doctor?
Barbara Coombs LeeBarbara Coombs Lee
At Compassion & Choices we often tell people to interview their doctor. If you wonder about end-of-l...
How does an executor of a will differ from an administrator?
CareConsciousCareConscious
An executor of a will is the person named in the will to administer the estate. An administrator ser...
What does an estate planning attorney do?
CareConsciousCareConscious
An attorney who practices estate planning handles a wide range of issues relating to wills, trusts a...