How can physical touch help a person with a terminal illness?

David Kuhl
Hospice & Palliative Medicine

Some people who know they have a terminal illness feel out of touch -- out of touch with who they were before, out of touch with people they care about and who care about them, out of touch with normal life, out of touch with their God. It is a sense of estrangement from the familiar, the beginning of a process of increasing isolation.

The physical touch of another counteracts that sense of aloneness, that sense of being out of touch and of being untouchable.

What Dying People Want: Practical Wisdom For The End Of Life

Facing death results in more fear and anxiety than any other human experience. Though much has been done to address the physical pain suffered by those with a terminal illness, Western medicine has...

Continue Learning about End Of Life Issues

Do I have to leave my estate to my spouse in my will?
CareConsciousCareConscious
Generally when drawing up your will, you can do whatever you wish with your estate, providing it is ...
How does Europe address end-of-life issues?
Barbara Coombs LeeBarbara Coombs Lee
The European Charter of Patients’ Rights states: “Each individual has the right to avoid as much suf...
What are advance directives?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Advance directives are legal documents that delineate what type of healthcare you would want in vari...
Why should I talk to my doctor about my end-of-life wishes?
David R. Grube, MDDavid R. Grube, MD
It's important to talk to your doctor about your end-of-life wishes and complete an advance directiv...