How does an executor of a will differ from an administrator?

An executor of a will is the person named in the will to administer the estate. An administrator serves the same function but is appointed by a court (probate) when there is no will, or there is no executor named or qualified to serve.

In either case, he or she is charged with wrapping up the affairs of the decedent, including:
  • providing legal notices to the proper parties
  • collecting and accounting for all the decedent's property
  • receiving, evaluating and paying proper claims against the estate
  • distributing the estate property according to the will or state law

Continue Learning about End Of Life Issues

How can I decide if I should be kept alive if I can't talk for myself?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Many advanced medical technologies aim at rescue, which means that under normal circumstances, witho...
What does an estate planning attorney do?
CareConsciousCareConscious
An attorney who practices estate planning handles a wide range of issues relating to wills, trusts a...
What should a person consider before refusing fluids to end one's life?
Barbara Coombs LeeBarbara Coombs Lee
Voluntarily stopping eating and drinking (VSED) doesn’t always go smoothly, and we recommend careful...
How has end-of-life planning changed?
National Healthcare Decisions DayNational Healthcare Decisions Day
End-of-life planning has changed in a number of ways. According to a Pew Research Center study from ...