Do I have to leave my estate to my spouse in my will?

Generally when drawing up your will, you can do whatever you wish with your estate, providing it is lawful (and you are considered to be competent). You cannot, however, completely cut out your spouse.

In some states your spouse is already considered to own half of your property so that his or her half is unavailable for distribution. In every other state the spouse has the option to “elect against the will,” meaning that he or she can claim a percentage or your estate irrespective of what your will provides. 

Continue Learning about End Of Life Issues

What should I do with my advance care plan once I've completed it?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
You should keep originals of your advance care plan documents in an easily accessible place (not in ...
What is significant about Montana's aid in dying decision?
Barbara Coombs LeeBarbara Coombs Lee
Here are some aspects of the ruling: The Montana Supreme Court called the practice “aid in dying...
What are the physical signs of death?
HealthCare Chaplaincy NetworkHealthCare Chaplaincy Network
Death is a physical process that takes many paths over an unpredictable length of time. Dying people...
Why doesn't my doctor discuss end-of-life issues with me?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
There are many reasons why doctors aren't having these discussions as often as they should. The conv...