How do I know if I am a candidate for lung volume reduction surgery (LVRS)?

If you are interested in being evaluated for lung volume reduction surgery, discuss your interest in LVRS with your primary physician, who will be asked to provide your medical information, including history, pulmonary function, and x-ray studies.

The staff will review that information to determine whether you're a candidate for an on-site evaluation. If you qualify, you will be invited to the center for two days of outpatient testing, including:

• Chest x-ray
  • Chest CT scan
  • Perfusion scan of lungs
  • Blood tests (alpha-1 antitrypsin, cotinine level)
  • Complete pulmonary function test with lung volumes by plethsymography
  • Room air arterial blood gas
  • Dobutamine stress test of heart
  • Cardiopulmonary exercise test

After the completion of these tests, your review for the procedure will conclude with examination by a pulmonologist and surgeon who make final decisions about your eligibility to proceed with lung volume reduction surgery. All patients, whether surgical candidates or not, are evaluated for and prescribed a pulmonary rehabilitation program by the rehabilitation medical physician during their evaluation at the center.

Patients accepted for surgery are referred to a six-week program of outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation prior to surgery as well as a preoperative checkup in the final week of the program. At this time surgical consent is obtained, surgery scheduled and preoperative testing including an evaluation by an anesthesiologist is performed.

Continue Learning about Emphysema Treatment