How does sun exposure cause wrinkles?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Simply put, the more sun exposure you have had, even as a child, the earlier your wrinkles will appear. I have seen patients in their early 20s with wrinkles. These are the beach babies -- they spend hours each day working on their tans, and their future wrinkles. And today's freckles become tomorrow's age-spots. It is the ultraviolet light (UV) contained in sunlight that is responsible for much of the aging of the skin. Chronic UV exposure causes wrinkles, splotchy pigmentation, visible capillaries (telangiectasia) and loose, rough skin. UV causes damaging substances called free radicals to be produced. UV also depresses the natural antioxidants in the skin, contributing to more damage. Ultraviolet light damages your genetic material (DNA) every time you are in the sun. To convince yourself, compare the skin on the back of your hands with the skin on the inside of your upper arm. The upper arm looks better in everyone.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Effect Of Sun On Skin

Can any medications increase sun damage to skin?
There are medications that can increase sun damage to skin. For example, some antibiotics can increa...
Are all chemical UVA blockers the same?
Not all UVA blockers are the same. Some ingredients that provide the best protection against bot...
How should I protect my feet from the sun?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
It's easy to forget your feet when you put on sunscreen, but if you're wearing sandals or going ...
How Can I Tell If the Sun Is Damaging My Skin?